1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do breeders vaccinate chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Vickis Girls, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Vickis Girls

Vickis Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    Does anyone know if breeders vaccinate for Marek's? If not, is it rude to request it?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some do. It would not be rude to request or ask if they do. They'll let you know if they are interested.

You could do it when they arrive if they don't. Every day after hatch, the effectiveness diminishes but it can still work.

1 person likes this.
  3. Vickis Girls

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    Thank you. I don't know if I could do it, don't know if a Vet would, and don't know if the chicks could travel to get vaccinated if it's cold out.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's not expensive or difficult. You may miss a couple but so do the hatcheries so it isn't 100% effective even if you pay someone to do it.

5. Vickis Girls

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    Hey, thanks for your vote of confidence! I guess if I absolutely have to be the one, then I can probably do it. I found some really good instructions online.

6. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Vickies Girls: Where did you find the directions?

7. Vickis Girls

Dec 30, 2012
    Central Washington
    Hi, bluebirdnanny!
    I haven't had to do this yet, as the chicks haven't arrived. Hope this is the right link: http://poultryone.com/articles/mareks-html I know it's the right place, but I'm just not sure about copying and pasting, seems like I know very little about computers as well as chicks. Good luck. If it doesn't work, let me know.
    Vicki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by