Do brody hens stop laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seahoob, May 14, 2011.

1. seahoob

seahoob Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Orangevale CA
    I have a blue orpington that is approximately one year old, has lost a few more feathers than normal, has a small bare spot on her chest, hangs out in the nesting box (until I remove her)(then she finds her way back there again), and has not laid a single egg sense she started acting that way (for about three days now). I have checked for mites and lice and although I found a few it is not an epidemic (consequently, I treated her for the mites) .

So might she be broody? After my buff lays her egg in the morning I have been closing my blue out of the hen house and in a way forcing her to hang out in the chicken run with the buff. She seems to be eating well and gets excited when I offer her veggie treats. Am on the right track? Any advice?

Thanks

2. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Sounds right to me! Does she get a little pissy when you move her? Mine always yell and raise a fuss. I think you are on the right track though, unless she's really persistant. Then you'll have to try the wire bottomed cage tactic!
    Good luck!

3. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Sounds broody to me. Yes a broody will not lay eggs. She wont start again until her chicks dont need her anymore. That is of course if you aregoing to let her brood some.

Oh just realized what you were trying to get across. I agree with the wire caged bottom. Id put it up on legs or something so the fresh air hits her underside. Id say good luck but with a broody thats hardly the case.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. seahoob

May 10, 2011
    Orangevale CA
    Thanks for the advise. I am certainly not going to let her stay broody. I am curious about the cage method you mentioned. What is it? How does it work? How long does it take? Most importantly, do you have a picture?

5. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    It's hard to get a broody un-broody. I have a broody right now with no rooster, so I decided this time to just stick a few fertilized eggs under her (bought) (cheap) and let her hatch them & get it over with. Easier for me than breaking a broody.

Edit: And yes, I can't turn down seeing a couple cute little chicks hatch. I'll admit it. I'm addicted.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Ddawn's article is a great one. They stop laying eggs until they have decided to stop taking care of their chicks. I am getting so many eggs now, and can't make any deliveries.... Keep having to throw 'em out... Sure wish I had some broodies right now!

8. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    Quote:This is the coop I build to serve as a broody buster. As you can see- right now I am using it more as a broody palace. My "momma' hen was on her third run at going broody in 3 months, and I wanted to add a few to my flock, so I just gave her eggs. She's brooding the chicks now in the same crate. To break a broody- you just put them in a wire bottomed cage that has airflow underneath, no bedding material at all. It usually takes a few days- a weekish. I seem to have a particular flair for choosing "mothering" type chickens. I've had 8 attempts from my 5 girls in the last few months. Ironically the only chicken I have who hasn't tried to brood is my silkie. I'm just counting the days...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Quote:Feed 'em back to the chickens - they love them.

10. seahoob

May 10, 2011
    Orangevale CA
    Because I have chosen the approach of locking her out of the hen house, at what point will I be able to tell that she is no longer broody? Any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by