Do broodies eat their hatched chicks' shell membranes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sunny Side Up, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    That's what it seems like to me, and I think I've seen them in the act. My theory is that it gives them nourishment during the time their chicks are hatching and they must stay on the nest for 24 hours or more. Maybe it also/instead removes the new-birth blood smell from the area. What do you know about this? What have you observed? What do you think?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd be inclined to agree with your observations. I usualy don't find much shell left over from broody hatches, but then again, I also haven't hatched more than, well, one at a time per broody. LOL

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Ditto.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Never noticed this before, then again I take the hatched eggs away when I check on the babies. Very interesting and wouldnt surprise me since other animals do the same.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Yes they do, I've even witnessed it . [​IMG]

6. @migocontodos~

@migocontodos~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:lol...modiration is your motto, Silkiechicken? Chicks are better than human babies...the moms can raise multiples @ the same time!

I think they eat the shells too. I've gone down and wondered where the shells have gone and I've also gone down and raise the hen and the shells have been all packed together. Some hens can work wonders with their feet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by