Do broody hens come off the nest to poo?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redwa, Jun 13, 2008.

1. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    My hen started sitting on a clutch of eggs last week and hasn't moved from her nest yet. Should I take her off the next for a few minutes so she can move around and poo? I keep food and water near her at all times. I just saw the thread on "broody poo" and it got me to wondering.

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

My broody would come out 1-2x a week and eat and poop.

Some broody hens you will have to take off the nest to eat and drink.

3. redwa

redwa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2007
    Sorry, just realized that this is not an emergency. I posted it in the wrong place. I'll move it...

4. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    some hens just won't leave the nest..
    is she in with other chickens?
    she might be better if she has her own broody box and pen.

you'll have to get her up so she can eat, drink and "go"..
    and it's important that they exercise their legs..
    she might get up when you don't see, but go ahead and get her up a few times a day.

5. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Everytime I tried to get my broody girl up she threw a fit at me. I did notice in the beginning she might get up once a day when everyone was fed and run back quickly. But during the last 14 days or so I had to put food & water in with her or she'd have died and the poop just piled up in the crate with her. (I use milk crate for nest boxes.) Once the chicks hatched and she was able to move around is when she REALLY cleaned her pipes so to say.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I fed my hen in her nest once a day - I held water out for her for the first week, she then did get up to eat and drink - and STAND BACK WHEN THAT POOP HAPPENS.........
    (I think all the flies dropped dead after that)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by