Do broody hens go into lockdown on Day 3 too?

ADozenGirlz

The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Connecticut
I have a broody Silkie hen who is 3 days from her hatch date and I'm wondering whether she will or won't get off the nest in the next three days. Do they go into lockdown like an incubator and stay put until the eggs hatch?

The reason I ask is b/c she is in the regular coop nest box and I'm worried that another chicken may bother her (they've been laying eggs in her nest box for the past 18 days as if she were invisible!). So, I'm thinking that if she will not be leaving the nest, I would block her in with a little window screen so she can't be disturbed.

You may want to close the nest up until the chicks hatch so that the other hens don't peck them to death. I would still remove her from the nest twice a day so that she can cat, drink, and defecate. Good luck with your (her) hatch.

Oh, so given the opportunity, she would get out of the nest twice a day, every day? Interesting. I hate to get too involved in the process (ie: taking her out when she doesn't feel ready, or causing her to wait until I let her out of confinement).

I'm so much more nervous about the three eggs under her than the seven in the incubator!!

My broody stopped getting out of the nest yesterday she hasnt left them we are on day 20 and we now have 4 pips I doubt she will leave till they are all here.

Quote:
Hmmm. What to do? Very interesting. We made her a lovely "Maternity Ward" where she could've sat for the past few, hot, humid weeks comfortably, but she would have nothing to do with it. Now her location presents problems that I'm just not sure how to handle.

I have the two broody hens inside in a cardboard box filled with shavings we cut one side down so we could put water and food up in front of them they just are serious I guess about what they are doing my kids are in and out of the house music is playing and they just sit.

Quote:
Have you had them inside the whole time? I'm afraid to freak her out. She flipped out pretty good when we put her in the Maternity Ward and took her out as I didn't want her to kill the eggs. Do you think she'd be OK to come inside now?

Quote:
Have you had them inside the whole time? I'm afraid to freak her out. She flipped out pretty good when we put her in the Maternity Ward and took her out as I didn't want her to kill the eggs. Do you think she'd be OK to come inside now?

Only 1 I have had in the house since day one.

Hen 2 I moved inside not so long ago because of the heat spikes we got here. What I did was have someone hold the broody. Put eggs in a box big enough for nest , eggs and hen. Bring them inside then place her on top. When I placed her on top I hold her for a few seconds then rub from her head back to her tail and softly speak to her and tell her she is a good girl.
My 15 yr old son taught me to do it this way and she hasnt moved since we take her out side 1 time a day to potty.
When you see her moving and start to cluck she is ready to go out. Cause she holds it so long it looks gross but its better out side than in the nest.

Quote:

Only 1 I have had in the house since day one.

Hen 2 I moved inside not so long ago because of the heat spikes we got here. What I did was have someone hold the broody. Put eggs in a box big enough for nest , eggs and hen. Bring them inside then place her on top. When I placed her on top I hold her for a few seconds then rub from her head back to her tail and softly speak to her and tell her she is a good girl.
My 15 yr old son taught me to do it this way and she hasnt moved since we take her out side 1 time a day to potty.
When you see her moving and start to cluck she is ready to go out. Cause she holds it so long it looks gross but its better out side than in the nest.

That's really helpful information, thanks so much for the advice! Wish us luck!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom