Do Broody Hens Stop Laying Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennH07, Jun 26, 2011.

1. JennH07

JennH07 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Hastings, MI
    I have a broody hen that is laying no eggs. I thought that when they were broody that they would still lay for a time. I have no roo so I just keep taking the eggs from my other hens. I hav e noticed that she has not layed an egg in about 2 weeks, she has been broody for about 2 months now. When will she go back to normal? Thanks in advance for any replies!!

2. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Yes they do stop, encourage her to get out and about or give her some fertilized eggs to hatch out.... Seeing a hen with new chicks is something special to see.

3. SherrKa

SherrKa New Egg

Mar 21, 2011
    I too have a broody hen and can't get her off the nest. It has been over a month now and I am worried. She hardly eats or drinks. I have taken her off the nest every day and sometimes twice a day and she just waits til I leave and goes back. I am afraid she is going to starve. If I were to go ahead and let her sit on some eggs, since she has been at this for more than a month is it to late to do it now. I just see me going to the trouble of getting eggs and then her coming off the nest. One other question, it I let her set I assume it would be best to put her in a coop by herself to hatch her eggs away from the rest of my ladies and roo?

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Last year I had a broody who was so bent she was broody for 40 days and finally we put some eggs under her. This year I have had 4 or so go broody. I tried everything but I have so many others laying I don't really miss ones contribution. Last year my girl dopey also was running off laying eggs in the woods and I found her at the oddest angle sitting on the eggs - she had 10 eggs all hers (her eggs were distinct and almost round) Her little nest was almost at a 45 degree angle - She is aptly named. We removed the eggs and she stopped being broody by the next day. I do wish they would warn me because I would actually like my current broody to hatch her own eggs but since I didn't know I guess that isn't going to happen.

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by