1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Do broody-raised chicks ever get Pasty Butt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bawkbawkbawk, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Have been wondering about this for the past few weeks. First time around, I raised four hatchery chicks bought at the feed store in a cardboard box brooder. Two of the four had Pasty Butt. Thanks to BYC I knew how to manage it and they all got through it.

Recently got five chicks from MPC which I slipped under my broody BO the day after they arrived. All have thrived and flourished. Do broody-raised chicks just not get Pasty Butt or does the mama hen somehow know how to manage it?

Is it temperature-related? Now that I've seen these little ones marching around in much cooler temperatures than my cardboard-brooder-raised ones ever experienced, it makes me wonder if the 95 degree guideline is too warm?

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I have heard that broody raised chicks do not get pasty butt. Yes, it seems if they get too hot it causes the problem. But it is hard to keep the temp exactly where you want it, especially when it is so darned hot out there!

3. Thanks Hot2Pot - I am really starting to think that the 95 degree guidance is too hot. I worried so much about my chicks being too cold at the time that it never occurred to me there's also a danger for them in being too hot. Now that I've seen my little ones strolling around the coop in 50+ degree weather I will be less concerned about keeping the temp at exactly 95 degrees in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by