Do Buff Cochins lay brown eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ttbkremer, Dec 18, 2008.

1. ttbkremer

ttbkremer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Do Buff Cochins lay brown eggs?

How many eggs will she sit on at a time? We are new to the Brooder chicken thing.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't have buffs, but I would assume they all lay the same colors. Go by their earlobes. Most chickens that have white earlobes lay white eggs, and red earlobes lay brown eggs. Both mine lay brown eggs (brown hen and white hen).

Is it a standard sized bird? I would say just to be safe, not to put more than 12 eggs under her, though she probably could hold more. This time of year it would be difficult enough to try and keep them all warm, so less is better. We set 10 eggs under our blakc hen and she hatched 6. She was a clutz though, and broke quite a few eggs. Originally she had 14 eggs I think.

3. daygrower

daygrower Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2008
    we have bantam buff cochins they lay white eggs and they will sit on as many as they can fluff out on sometimes too many if the other girls are adding to hers. 10 or so average

4. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    Mine lay white eggs. But when put up to my white leghorn eggs, they are not as white. But still look white.

Edited........ops..I have BO's not BC...lol

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Ours lay a cream colored egg...almost a pale brown.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    This is what mine are like. If I had to pick white or brown, they would be brown. They definitely are not white! Not mine anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by