do buff orpingtons roost on a perch

joegwendolyn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
hi i was wondering if anyone can help me I have some buff orpington chicks they dont seem to interested in roosting on a perch, some one told me that they dont like to roost as they are big birds is this true just wanted to know weather to take one of my perches out of my coop to make more floor space if that is what they prefer, any advice would help thanks

Quote:
they are 6 weeks old I have been getting them ready for going out side by putting them in the garden in the day and bringing them in the house still on a night but think they would be better outside really soon as they are getting big now lol

when you move them outside you can place them on their perches at night. It may take a few days but they will figure it out and one evening you will go out and they will be perched and looking at you like...what? I find that i need to leave a light on so they can see to roost. Good Luck and enjoy.

I think for some reason it takes a few of them awhile to figure it out but like suggested by other poster leave a dimb light on so they can see where it is and they'll catch on.Putting them on it a couple times would help to.Bird brains!
smile.png

My Buff Orp is a huge roo and he roosts on the rod every night (even though it slightly bends everytime he gets on it:)

And the new 3 week old chicks are allready roosting and love it!

My Buff Orp chicks were the only ones using the roosts at first. Now that thay are all 4 weeks old they all like to roost, but the BO's roost the highest.

Back
Top Bottom