do buff orpingtons roost on a perch

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joegwendolyn, Apr 29, 2009.

1. joegwendolyn

joegwendolyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    hi i was wondering if anyone can help me I have some buff orpington chicks they dont seem to interested in roosting on a perch, some one told me that they dont like to roost as they are big birds is this true just wanted to know weather to take one of my perches out of my coop to make more floor space if that is what they prefer, any advice would help thanks

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Not true.Mine roost just fine right along with my cochins and they are much bigger.How old are your chicks?

3. joegwendolyn

joegwendolyn Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2009
    Quote:they are 6 weeks old I have been getting them ready for going out side by putting them in the garden in the day and bringing them in the house still on a night but think they would be better outside really soon as they are getting big now lol

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    when you move them outside you can place them on their perches at night. It may take a few days but they will figure it out and one evening you will go out and they will be perched and looking at you like...what? I find that i need to leave a light on so they can see to roost. Good Luck and enjoy.

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I think for some reason it takes a few of them awhile to figure it out but like suggested by other poster leave a dimb light on so they can see where it is and they'll catch on.Putting them on it a couple times would help to.Bird brains! [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I have 20 of them that are 7 weeks old and all of them roost at night in their coop. They fight for the best spot.

7. Cocky

Cocky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2007
    Georgetown, SC
    My Buff Orp is a huge roo and he roosts on the rod every night (even though it slightly bends everytime he gets on it:)

And the new 3 week old chicks are allready roosting and love it!

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Agreed-my 4 week old BO loves the roost. She will even crawl onto the side of my hand so she can "perch" on my fingers.

9. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Mine were trying to roost at about 2 weeks and now at 8-9 weeks they roost every night all together.

10. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    My Buff Orp chicks were the only ones using the roosts at first. Now that thay are all 4 weeks old they all like to roost, but the BO's roost the highest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by