Do Bunnies Play Well with Chickens? Or Visa-Versa?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by FrugalMommaof3, May 10, 2011.

1. FrugalMommaof3

FrugalMommaof3 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    I have an area that is fenced off for a couple of bunnies(and our guinea pig). The guinea pig can come back inside if need be. They have gotten along just fine for months together in the fenced area as well as in the hutch. Now, I am getting chickens and need to know your thoughts about wether or not to keep them seperated or allow them to "play" together. I have heard that chickens like the taste of blood and if they taste it, they may not stop until too late. What do you think guys? Space is a factor. However, I can add additional fencing if need be or even seperate them.

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    There is a lady in Massachusetts who has a hen cam online: http://www.hencam.com/index.php
    You will see that there is a lop-eared bunny that has a hutch within the chicken run. The bunny can come and go into the run as she pleases and they get along just fine.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I would think so. even my cats get along with my chickens. They walk right by each other and brush into the other without any problems. They do not snuggle but they don't mind each other at all.

4. FrugalMommaof3

May 8, 2011
    Thanks for the info.

5. Mzyla

Mzyla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Hmmmm....I can tell you first hand observation, since I have some (not all) of my chickens together with two bunnies.
    They do not "play" together. They just coexist. They do eat together with no problem.
    But, chickens are getting dirt into bunnies water and bunnies are digging gigantic holes....
    All in all - it is all right as a temporary solution, but I rather have them separated.

6. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I had 4 bunnies ranging from a few weeks to a few years old in one of the coops with about 25 chickens for a while. I was building a new rabbit pen and need the housing temporarily. They got along fine. The only complaint that I had was the rabbits were digging monster holes and occasionally they would dig a hole under the coop and let the younger chicks out.

7. FrugalMommaof3

May 8, 2011
    Thanks guys! Of course, when I said "play" I assumed you knew that I meant "would they get along ok with each other". Just wanted to know if I absolutely MUST keep them apart for some, unknown-to-me reason. It is not ideal for me either to have them together. Just was curious what your experience was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by