1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do/can turtles eat chicks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by asher, Sep 11, 2009.

1. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    We had six chicks as of around 9:30 this morning. Just now, my son came in all excited b/c there was a turtle in the run. And now we have 3 chicks. What the heck?! It as not a big turtle. There are no bodies anywhere. Gone without a trace.

So weird. That and the fact that I cannot figure out how the heck it got in to the run! I have hardware cloth run flat and put in the ground with garden stakes all around the perimeter of the run and along the bottom 3' of the run.

Weird, man. I took a pic of the turtle, if anyone might be able to tell me what kind it was by the pic (I assumed boxing or snapping), I'll post it.

Now to figure out this weekend where the security breech is. If a turtle can get in, other things can, too!

2. birdsofthefarm

birdsofthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Grayson County, TX
    Normally, no. Can I see the pic and I will tell you if it will hurt your little babies

3. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Here it is - pics aren't very good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    No!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a box turtle, no way that would eat your chicks!! Snapping turtle, maybe, but not a box turtle
    If this is a North American Box turtle, it is also on the endangered species list

5. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Okay, thank you :) Hmmm...wonder where my chicks went!

We picked this little bugger up with a shovel and laid him in a grassy area towards the woods.

S/he had a lot of cracks and breaks along the edges of his/her shell.

6. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Is the top of your run covered? It could have been dropped by a bird of prey. That might explain where your chicks are also. Other than that, I don't have a clue! Sorry though....

7. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yes, our runs are completely covered. The shell could definitely not have fit down the holes of that and a bird of prey couldn't fit in it, either. Hrrrmmm...will have to add beefing up security to the run this weekend and figure out how the heck it got in. We do have a lot of straw that the chickens have been kicking around. I wonder if the chicks just died and got kicked under that? There are 7 broody hens and they are pretty darn nasty to the other hens chicks.

8. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    that's a box turtle and yes, as previously stated, endangered. It would not eat anything in the way of chicks, chickens, it's too slow to catch them. How it got into your run??? Fascinating question.

9. asher

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I know. That's going to bother me. As I told DH, if it can get in, surely a raccoon or opposum can! BTW, when we fund the turtle, he was at the very edge of the run, like he was trying to get out, but he couldn't.

If I had anyone nearby that didn't like me, I'd assume they'd put it in there. I seriously cannot figure out how else it could have gotten in other than someone placing it in there. Will see tomorrow.

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree it wasn't that turtle. Yes snappers will eat chicks, though, more likely ducklings! If your chicks were to wander close enough to a snapping turtle, their necks are HUGE long and they can move pretty fast... so if a chick came within reach, yeah. But NOT that turtle.

Yes, could have even been blue jays or crows if the pen isn't covered. Or, are the mum and chicks the only ones in there? Other hens could have done it, or, even the mother, they sort of freak out sometimes and do that, sad but true, esp if it's her first clutch.

//edit, saw your posts after I did this one... so disreguard the parts you already answered... I'd say other hens if there's other broodies in there!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by