Do certain breeds sleep more?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelsieann124, Mar 14, 2017.

1. kelsieann124

kelsieann124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    My Buff Orpington seems to sleep more than my other chicks, and is much less adventurous, she doesn't act sick though, just very laid back. Is this normal for the breed? Or is it just a personality thing?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I have a chick like that too! My only buff orpington i got this year is very mellow. I think its a breed thing, cause any adult orpingtons are also some of my calmest chickens. That makes them easy to handle. Little kids always pick those up, cause they are the only ones who they can catch. I don't really know though, just giving you my experience on the matter. :)

3. kelsieann124

kelsieann124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    Huh that's so interesting! Well, thank you for your info! I just got a bit scared because we had one pass away early this morning, she was acting very lethargic and wouldn't eat or drink. I woke up every hour through the night to hand feed/water her, but when I woke up at about 5 she was gone:( so I just don't want that to happen again. It was very traumatic!

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    No problem! :) Awe, that's so sad...It happens, but it is never easy. I lost a little baby a couple days after i brought her home. [​IMG] Thankfully the rest are looking great. So sorry you lost one! Hopefully the others will continue to grow strong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by