Do chcikens ever eat their chicks?

rhino533

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
Thailand
Do Chickens ever eat there dead or alive,or maybe sick chicks? or could other members of the flock eat them? The reason I ask is yesterday I have 7 chicks and this morning I only have 6. I search the whole coup and the chick was nowhere to be found. I've had the same thing happen last hatch of eggs. I checked to see if there was anyway they could get out from the coup and from what I could see there was no way they could. I'm just a little bit confused to where the chick has gone too. That why I ask if they ever eat there own chicks. The chick was 1 day old.

Ive never had the hen eat one, but once I had a Rock that took another hen's chick and ate it. We ate her to compensate.
big_smile.png
Its best to house them seperately just in case. Could also have been a squirl or cat, somthing along those lines. Good luck with your other babies!!

ETA: Ive also had tiny chicks (Even from standard adults) Squeeze out of standard chicken wire. It doesnt happen often, but that could be an option as well.

Last edited:
When my broody hen went wrong she sprayed little chicky brains and guts everywhere. I never found one foot that I think she consumed, but I don't think she really ATE a whole lot of them.

Yes, definitely. A rat would eat a chick. It could kill your adult chickens too. Could you put up some wire or mend holes so that no more rats can get into the coop?
Could you get or make your hen a crate to raise her chicks in until they;re old enough to take care of themselves? At least that's better for sleeping at night.

I bet it's rats. I've put screen (like in screen doors) all around the wire and coup but the basterd rats always find a way in. My gut feeling is it's the rats. I really hate them.

The chicks are tiny Japanese Bantams easy for a smaller rat to take.

My broody hen killed one of her chicks before we could stop her. I've heard others on here say that some hens will attempt to "clean up" after a bad chick, one that is unhealthy or just wrong, by eating it. Ours wasn't given a chance so I don't know for sure. Hopefully yours just squeezed out a hole and finds it's way back in tonight.

Back
Top Bottom