Do checkens gets hemorrhoids? What is this on my Leghorns rear end??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannybell, Feb 21, 2013.

1. shannybell

shannybell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    I went out to get eggs this morning and "Fog Hat" finished laying her egg, hopped out of the nesting box and went to get a drink of water and some scratch that I was throwing out. Then I noticed her trying to "push" like she does when she's laying an egg. So I checked the nesting box to see if she indeed did finish laying her egg before she left the box, which she did and the egg was perfectly normal, not a spec of dirt, poop, or blood on it. So I went back to her to check her rump and found this big pink bulge by her vent. What in the world is this? It's like a hemorrhoid or something. And she keeps trying to push. And little drops of watery blood fall when she does that. I snapped a pic of it while she was getting some water and I noticed that it does have some poop on it that I need to get off of there but I'm a little scared to touch it. It's pretty cold this morning too. Should I bring her inside and rinse it with warm water?

Any idea what is happening and what I can do to help her?

[​IMG]

2. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    It looks like a prolapse. Do a search within this forum on how to treat. Good luck.

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. shannybell

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    Thank you for your replies!! I will look it up now. I just came back in from checking on her to make sure no one is picking on her. It looks like the swelling is going down some but is still there and she is still has her feathers ruffled and is standing off to herself for the most part. :(

5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awww keep us updated!! [​IMG]

6. shannybell

Jul 9, 2012
    Wilsonville, AL
    Hi Sally, I have a couple of concerns about what that link said I need to do for her prolapsed vent. It's a great article. I LOVE the Chicken Chick's blogs! Thanks again for pointing me in her direction.

One, after I separate her and she gets better, will she fit back into the flock okay if she is only away for a couple of days?

Two, I wonder how much of a shock it will be for her being in the warm house for a night or two and then having to go back outside. Although I am not up north, it still gets quite chilly at night.

And three, it said to "withhold most of her food" (to discourage laying). What does that mean? I can't starve her! How much should I feed her?

Thanks so much for you help!

7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    she says at least 24 hrs hold the food away..... It makes sense to me, she wont starve in 24, but she will be hungry and you are to give her extra boost in her water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by