do chick/chicken eat ants

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chick_magnet, Jun 30, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    i have seen some ants in my yard and my chicks dont seem to mind it. they dont eat it i thought chickens eat everything

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Yes they are very delicious, and high in protein.

3. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Yes they do eat ants!

4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    We have a multitude of different species of ants, about 17.

The chickens eat some and won't eat others, there's even ants here that the chickens are scared of !!!

I guess if yours aren't eating the ants it's because your ants are not the tasty ants.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Some ants will secrete a substance that is nasty tasting and the chickens will quickly learn to avoid them. It strikes me that fire ants here in the Southern United States could potentially kill a chicken.

6. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Mine seemed to learn pretty quick which ants to eat and which ants to run from - fire ants = RUN! If one comes up on some while roaming the yard they all have a fit and run for the coop! If they are tasty ants they have a fit and all run for the ant pile! It took a while and learning the hard way myself (read: walking straight up onto an ant bed one day to investigate the chicken drama) but that's what it seems to be here. Maybe your ants are 'bad ants' ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by