1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chicken eggs sell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gamefowl-layers, Feb 2, 2016.

1. gamefowl-layers

gamefowl-layers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    Littlerock California
    Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone here has ever sold their chicken eggs locally and if it was a disaster or if it worked out great. I have 8 Rhode Island Red pullets, 3 White Leghorns, and 1 Ameraucana. Someone is selling Production Red pullets of 5 months of age but it's a 40 minute drive. Does anyone know if it is worth it? Do chicken eggs sell fast? Good/Bad investment? Let me know. Thanks in advance!

Other details:
    - I live in Littlerock, CA
    - 1 dz of brown large eggs cost $6+ at my local grocers.
    - 1 acre land
    - Nearly no one sells eggs. I've looked on Craigslist and the only eggs are in Palmdale. (City over)
    - Don't worry saying it's too much work (I looooovveeee chickens so it's not a problem)

2. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    I sell my eggs for 4$ a dozen to my friends at church, my piano teacher, etc. They go pretty fast, but it all depends on how many people are interested in buying!

3. gamefowl-layers

gamefowl-layers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    Littlerock California

Thanks for the reply and Wow, have you ever struggled selling them? Like, have you ever had to throw some away because they're just too many eggs? I'm thinking of acquiring more hens to sell eggs locally

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Maybe do a bit of market research first before embarking on a major investment. I think for most of us who do not keep chickens commercially, we are lucky to break even with costs of feed by selling eggs. Theres a thread about selling eggs, just can't remember its specific name. I guess it only becomes profitable when done on a large scale. That doesn't mean that you should not consider having more eggs and then selling "value-added" products - mayonnaise, quiches, custard tarts etc etc - maybe that way you could begin to see a little more return.

All the best
    CT

5. AuntNomi

AuntNomi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2015
    Callahan, Florida!
    I sell my eggs. I only have 8 laying at the moment but have others that will begin laying soon. I have only 1 customer at the moment. She wants 5 dozen a week, it takes me longer then a week to get 5 dozen to sell her, but she knew that from the beginning so as soon as I get a full 5 dozen I get them to her and start saving up again. Before she started buying eggs from me, I shared my eggs with family, friends, and neighbors(for free). Now I have no eggs to give any of them, they all keep telling me as soon as your others start laying I want XX amount of eggs a week. lol So I am excited for my others to get laying. The going rate where I am is $3.00 to $3.50. So apparently I will not be making much of a profit, however my chickens will be earning their keep. Which makes me so very happy. I have been buying my feed at TSC, with tax one 50# bag of feed was $18.10. I just recently found out about a feed store that makes their own feeds and I have gone their and started buying their feed for a total of $8.05 a 50# bag of feed. So I just cut my feed bill in half. SO maybe I will make a small profit.....more chicks! [​IMG]

6. TheChickenQueen

TheChickenQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2014
    Eastern Idaho
    I sell a lot of my eggs, the costumers normally want 5 dozen though an I have 3 that get eggs often. I sell my eggs for 2.50 plus extra for the carton unless they exchange some. It's not a lot but with it being winter not everyone is laying and we are hoping by spring we'll be able to pay for all of their weekly expenses and more.

7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator

Gotta love your logic [​IMG]

CT

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  8. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I provide eggs for my extended family and friends, often bartering them for something I don't have or grow. However what I get offsets some of the feed costs and other supplies chickens need. It's a labor of love, and chickens go through a molt and periods of non laying. If I wanted to make money I could cut some corners and swap out some of the breeds I have for better layers. If you want the best eggs possible, go for it. If you're in it for the money you might be sadly disappointed.
    Chickens eat. They need bedding, feed and water utensils, a coop and perhaps runs and other supplies. If you figure them in, this is all part of the cost of egg production.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    If eggs are selling in your area for $6+ then you should not sell them for a penny less (and maybe even more!) And, if you purchase cartons, you should add that on to your price. I sell my eggs for $3, and my customers, as well as folks who don't buy my eggs save cartons for me. I also barter eggs for service/goods, as well as provide free pullet eggs to folks who are financially strapped. All that being said, search your local ordinances, and develop a customer base. I have folks who expect eggs from me every week, and they are disappointed when the girls take a vacation day! DON't plan on building up a sizeable flock in hopes of turning this into a business. And only do it if the eggs are a side benefit of your passion for raising them! Your eggs should provide all of your feed needs, and may even give you a few bucks for an occasional treat for yourself as well.

10. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    Sometimes I have problems selling them, but they NEVER go to waste! There are 5 kids in my family and we go through eggs like water!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by