do chicken embryos 'swim' in the egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MrViskers, Sep 27, 2011.

1. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    i have 18 Araucana and Leghorn eggs sitting in the incubator on day 12, i candle a few every 2 or so days and there is the embryo just bouncing in around the egg, i keep the egg still while candling and there is a lot of veiny lines around the yolk, is this normal?

2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Yep, they move all over the place in there, chicken embryo gymnastics! I think they know that in about 2 weeks they are going to be stuffed so tightly in there they won't be able to move, and take advantage of the space they have early on. [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the previous poster. Click on the image. It's not the greatest but hard to hold the camera and egg.

[​IMG]

4. instar8

instar8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    N.IN
    The first time i saw how fast those little buggers move it freaked me out ...reminded me of that zombie movie where the monsters are blurry fast.

5. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    [​IMG]

The first egg I ever candled and saw something in was like that, I had my eyeball on the egg looking super close and it seemingly slammed itself right where my eye was and stared back. I screamed but I didn't drop the egg! It was cute to see them after that, but all that moment needed was a big horror movie BA-DOOM! sound to complete it.

6. MrViskers

MrViskers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Australia
    Araucana eggs are hard to candle because of the tinting of the egg but you can see a blackish thing just jumping around [​IMG]

7. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    Yep they sure do!
    I just candled mine this morning and they were bouncing around like crazy! I have a video of it on my other post. Pretty neat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by