Do chicken KNOW we're taking their eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenannie, Mar 16, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    When I walk past my chickens every day with a big see-through basket of their eggs, do they KNOW I'm stealing their precious, just-layed-eggs? What is going on in their little heads?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If I take an egg from under a hen, she stands up and looks all around, even stretching down and in back of her through her legs. She makes a soft "bock?" sound, but their little brains forget about it all til the next time. Silly girls.

3. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I've been told hens are very forgetful...

4. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Unless it comes to food...
    Obelisk can recognize the Main Street Deli sub bag by the time I get in the house.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Out of sight, out of mind... [​IMG] (That's why when someone has been missing from the flock for a few days, they're considered a stranger..)

If it's not where they left it, they don't know if it is their own. Now if you ever try to take a broody's eggs and she sees it you have to deal with this --> [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Kim

6. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I agree, they can certainly remember everything food-related.

7. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    lol i try not to let mine see because i feel like im stealing something of theirs lol

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I know I certainly felt guilty the first few eggs I took from my girls. [​IMG] I felt like I was kidnapping their children. However, since I have no one broody, they almost seem to just give them to me, unless they just laid it, in which case I just wait until they get up.

9. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, I feel a tiny bit of guilt too, because basically it's *all* a set-up to fool them into laying eggs for US.

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I don't know about the chickens yet, but my ducks know,,, and they do not appreciate it! They call me names and move their nests.
    K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by