Do Chickens always lay eggs in the morning?

i was wondering that too?!
hmm.png

Nope. I ha e morning layers, and afternoon layers.

Basically, it takes about 26 hours to "build" an egg, with 19 of those hours involved in creating the shell. With 24 hour days, this means the next egg will be ready to lay a little bit later in the day for those breeds which are daily layers. By the time the cycle has reached late afternoon or early evening, the hen won't lay until the next day, and the cycle begins anew.

Those chickens who do not lay an egg a day (their production is lower) may keep to a sort of "early" or "late" egg laying schedule. Or not.

No, but all cartoons show that.

Each chicken makes about one egg in 26-28 hours so the time of day for most chickens changes throughout the week.

Established layers also do not/do not seem to lay at night - new layers may drop one in sleep.

My hens lay anytime from first light of daylight up to about 2 hours before nightfall.

I too have both morning and late afternoon layers. Well explained gryeyes. This thread is just like school. You learn something new everyday. Thanks

My RSL hens usually lay before they are out of the shed by 10am.The EEs tend to lay all day long,but usually not past 4pm.It varies so I check all day.

I collected eggs around 3:30pm today. Just went out about 7pm and found 2 more eggs. I have some late layers. Then again they don't go to bed at a decent time either.

My Australorps have only been laying for a little over two weeks and they are all over the clock. I had read many places that you keep them in the coop until late morning before letting them out to free range so they will lay in the nest boxes. That might work with more mature chickens, after they have been laying a while, but when I tried it, I was finding eggs out in the pasture/woods where they free range and in nest boxes very late in the day that I had collected from in the middle of the day.

Back
Top Bottom