Do chickens bleed before first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by helen1989, Aug 10, 2014.

1. helen1989

helen1989 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2014
    Melbourne
    Hey i have a 17.5 week old isa brown x leghorn x australorp who is bleeding. Last week i noticed a few blood drops under her roost and then yesterday the same again. Today i saw her sitting in her usual spot and there was quite a bit of blood under her bottom. Ive checked her feathers and nothing on them, her feet havnt been cut and i checked her vent and no prolapse. She hasnt laid yet but i did notice her vent kept opening and closing, i thought she might have been about to poop but she didnt. I checked the other hen too but her vent and feet are fine, shes also a bit smaller and a bit too early for her to lay. Is this normal before first egg?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    No, sorry. Sounds like she has some internal problem. It's possible there is an egg stuck or broken inside her. I would isolate her and keep her quiet and at rest to maybe give her a bit better chance to heal on her own. You could try feeling for am egg as well. You might use a bit of Preparation H as the lubricant to help soothe and shrink any swollen or inflamed tissue up there. Good lusk.

3. helen1989

May 13, 2014
    Melbourne
    thanks. She isn't in any pain, eating, drinking, running around the garden as normal. She is with another chicken and they get distressed when not together so I will keep them together and maybe keep them in the coop for a few days instead of letting them out to free range in the garden. if there was an egg/ broken egg will it eventually come out? it might sound silly but wouldn't some pieces of a broken egg come out? I haven't seen any pieces in or around their coop.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There is a variety of possible outcomes when an egg breaks inside. It's also possible she is bleeding from something entirely different, like a cancer. I like the idea of letting her stay with her favorite pal; very thoughtful.

I;ve never had this happen to me. I hope things turn out well for you.

5. helen1989

May 13, 2014
    Melbourne
    Thanks, I took her to the vets and he said with all the wet weather its likely a bacterial infection. She's been given medication and told to stay in the coop for a few days (instead of free ranging) She's on her last day of medication and the coop has been filled with lots of extra bedding to prevent any dampness from lingering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by