Do Chickens come with papers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by RussC, Aug 13, 2010.

1. RussC

RussC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    I just purchase a pair of Wade Jeane C1 line French Black Cooper Marans. It just occurred to me, how do I really know what line these chickens came from. They don't come with papers do they? Let me say this. I have absolutely no reason to disbelieve the person I am buying them from. In fact I believe everything she has told me, but still how does a person know? And, what do I tell or how do I prove to the next person that buys a chick from me, what line these Marans came from? Just wondering. Thanks
    Russ

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    No, there are no chickens with official papers as in the case with other livestock and pets.

3. RussC

RussC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Sooooo, this is more or less a matter of faith and trust when it comes to what line a bird comes from?

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:reputation reputation reputation--if you have no reason to disbelieve-then believe what she says:)

5. chickenprincess92

chickenprincess92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Quote:

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Russ, if you bought from a reputable breeder, there should be numbered bands on your adult birds that you purchased. Whether wing or leg bands is irrellevent(sp?). The point is breeders keep records of their breeding stock and their offspring. Now, should your birds not be banded, you can inquire as to the band numbers of their parents, whick the breeder should be able to provide. Then you can trace the lineage back to where her birds came from, etc. Hard to say how many generations you can uncover, but the fact that you can document it all will impress your customers. Takes time, but will be worth it, if you are serious........Pop

7. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Unless you purchased the "Wade Jeane C1 line French Black Cooper Marans" directly from Wade Jeane they are not his line. They may have some of his birds in their ancestry but that is all you can say with certainty.

8. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:While this is certainly true in many cases, if the records show that no other blood was added, they are his line. Research is the only way to prove it, one way or the other..........Pop

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    It still wouldnt be his line. If Wade Jeane himself didnt pick out the birds from each generation to breed on, than I wouldn't consider it his line. It whoever's line that you purchased them from, since they were the ones who determined which chickens were being bred. Now if the birds came directly from birds purchased from Wade Jeane, then I'd consider them Wade Jeane birds.

IMHO, of course.

10. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    Quote:I would tend to agree...If you buy a supposed "well known" line of any type/variety of bird from anyone else other than the person listed as the original breeder/creator/modifier; then their lineage should include an asterik, to signify that the said birds came through another breeder. Not to say that the seller isn't being honest with you but just so that the birds are clearly and truthfully portrayed....JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by