Do chickens do anything else besides mate?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CrzyChicLady, Dec 3, 2010.

1. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    scratch, eat, peck, forage, and poop. [​IMG]

My 7 week old rooster likes to neck rub on the girls. He is such a flirt already and the first boy to crow!
    Not sure if the girls are to excited about his fast moves though. [​IMG]

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Very good question! Is there something about fall?

My usually very kind and courtly rooster has been a terror to the ladies since he recovered from molt. He still croons over treats and good nest spots, but when he goes for a ride he is unusually brutal. His favorite hen got gouged a few weeks ago and is only now healed enough I am no longer worried about her guts falling out. I removed his spurs, but he still leaves scratches on them.

He is still a fine fellow, friendly and tame toward humans, he is just hammering the girls. Gotta make more hen saddles.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cut his toenails. If you think roosters are horny, you ought to get some ducks.[​IMG]

5. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    LMBO!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG]:

I may only have 2 hens for my lone roo, but we keep his wings clipped so they can take all the time away from him they need. THEY get to choose when they get humped. lol But I believe we will be investing in some saddles soon. His spurs aren't grown in yet, but he does still have the claws on his toes. How do I know what sizes to get?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    We constantly compare our scrawny EE cockerel to a 16 yr old boy--he's tall, gawky, going through a voice change and only has one thing on his mind [​IMG]

Meanwhile, our cochin roo just likes to hang out on his perch. DH calls it "watching TV."

The hens all like to preen and they also like to nap.

Life is rough [​IMG]

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Agreed!

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I've got one rooster and 42 hens, he's so busy trying to keep them rounded up that he hardly has time for anything else.

9. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    How about lay eggs??? lol I dont have any roo's so I can't speak from experience....

10. CrzyChicLady

CrzyChicLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Wow I never thought to check my hens for injuries. My Dominique has big spurs, how do I know if he's hurting them? My cochin is the real playboy though. I call him "pretty boy" but I think I'm going to change his name to "lover boy". My poor hens are running around all day trying to get away from these crazy boys! I know I need some more hens but I'm hoping to wait until the spring/summer to get some. I hope my hens will make it through the fall/winter!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by