Do Chickens Drink Water at night?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dble H, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Dble H

Dble H New Egg

Sep 16, 2011
    Now that the nights are sometimes near the freezing mark, I have been closing the door on the coop. My girls are on the roost at sunset, around 6pm. I let them out about 6am at first light. I don't have water or food in the coop and this seems a long time for them to be without. When I let them out of the morning I throw out some scratch that they begin to eat, but they don't immediately run for water. I change the water with fresh that is just above tap temp but that doesn't encourage them to drink either. I let them out in the yard for at least an hour every day to eat grass and bugs. We have 4 barred rocks and they just started to lay Monday week ago. We got 5 eggs for the week and 3 so far this week. A penny for your thoughts.

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Nope, they do nothing at night but sleep and poop. And shed dander.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:X-2 your chickens go out with the lights..... [​IMG]

This is why night time is so dangerous and a predator can simply pluck them from their roost one at a time.

4. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    Mine drink at night. And when I moved their waterer out of the coop and into the run, I have seen them LEAVE THE COOP at night and go into the run for water!!! Everything is enclosed and I don't close the pop door so they can come out when they are ready in the morning and go to bed when they are ready. I was quite alarmed when I saw them in the run getting a drink at night though. I've since put one back into their coop (and left one in the run) so they won't have to go into the run at night.
    Also, I use nipple waterers, so there's really no spillage or mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by