Do chickens eat acorns?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AKsmama, Jul 10, 2010.

1. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Will they eat the acorns in the fall, at least the ones that are broken open? Or do they not like them? Please don't tell me the acorns are toxic or something, because there's no way we can clean them all up!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

mine eat all the seeds from the overhead trees... but I don't know about acorns.

3. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I'm not sure if chickens would eat them since we don't have oak trees where I am located. But, I do know that raw acorns taste terrible because they are packed with tannins. And, no, they are not toxic.

4. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am a brand new chicken owner, but I have been reading a lot about chickens lately and did read in a blog that chickens can eat acorns! So exciting because we have a ton of oak trees, so I'm planning on collecting a bunch in the Fall and storing them for treats during the Winter.

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Ohhh Boy do they eat em! I have a yard full of oak trees... when the acorns fell last fall, my birds cleaned em up! They love em! [​IMG]

6. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to add that my chickens love acorns too, and the little bugs that are in some of them. We break them open for them for fun and the chickens sit there anxiously awaiting the next bug-find. My sheep eat acorns too. They ate a few acres worth this fall, and now they're trying to get into the chicken yarn to eat whatever the chickens left behind. Before we had sheep, I thought they just ate grass.

7. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    my chickens eat them [​IMG]

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The particular species that produced the acorns will have a lot to do with this. Here in the Southeast the deer and other wildlife have their favorite trees that produce sweet acorns while leaving the more bitter ones until there just anything else to eat.

My birds will eat a few, but I've never known them to eat a lot. They eat them a lot better if the've been crushed/smashed first so they can pick the meats out of the shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by