1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do chickens eat garden worms? (pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jgervais, May 9, 2011.

1. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
  2. Mama2chicks

Mama2chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Fort Collins
    In my experience, they will eat any bugs or worms. I would be careful in your garden though once it is planted, they will eat all of it too.

3. jgervais

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    any plants they love most? I can make sure to plant extras.... Im willing to 'sacrifice' a few plants for good pest control [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Yep they sure will!! They'll eat all your tomatoes and anything else they can get their beaks on also!! [​IMG]

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:It's not the point of sacrificing anything. They will eat, unearth and dig up everything in sight!!I finally had to fence my garden from them. It just wasn't worth it.

ETA: Yours are still babies so it'll be a little while before you have to worry though!!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. jgervais

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
    Quote:It's not the point of sacrificing anything. They will eat, unearth and dig up everything in sight!!I finally had to fence my garden from them. It just wasn't worth it.

ETA: Yours are still babies so it'll be a little while before you have to worry though!!

hahah great - sounds like Im going from one problem to an even bigger one! Will netting keep them out, or do i need something stronger like an actual fence?

7. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do not let the chickens in the garden unless you dont want any veggie. Fencing or the chicken moat is the way to go.

8. jgervais

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
  9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I heard chickens can get gapeworm from earthworms. [​IMG] Not sure if it's entirely true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by