Do chickens eat green bean stalks & leaves? Corn stalks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mamasan7, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Mamasan7

Mamasan7 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2010
    K's Back 40
    Time to clean up the garden! Can I give it to the chickens?
    I also have pumpkin leaves and vines & zuchini vines.
    I can compost the whole lot of it, but if it's edible for chickens I'd rather give it to them.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    When I took my garden fence down a few weeks ago I just let em in! We had brussel sprouts, corn, zuchinni, peas, green beans, lima beans, sunflowers, bell peppers, bannana peppers, & tomatoes! My flock made very quick work of it all & everyone is still alive, lol. I hope that helps. If something in there isn't good for them i'm sure someone will let us know!

4. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Mine eat all the bean stalks/leaves any green stuff from garden. Brussel sprout and pepper plants. They do not seem to like corn stalks though.[​IMG]

5. Mamasan7

Mamasan7 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2010
    K's Back 40
    lol, redfog! That's what I ended up doing! We have a "fence" of marigolds that the chickens just wouldn't pass through so I pulled up a big clump and they filed right in - it was hilarious! They are loving the corn rows and the beans as long as we de-pod them for em.
    Lazy girls!

I was done picking beans so I put them back in their yard and rewarded them with a nice fat zuchini! Tomorrow I'll let them in the garden again, thanks for the advice!

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Not and live... Green beans are poisonous

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave mine fresh green beans this summer.

I have been thinning blackeyed peas and sharing these with the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by