do chickens eat hay?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by arabookworm, Dec 28, 2008.

1. arabookworm

arabookworm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've heard that they eat grass, and alfalfa hay has a high percentage of protein, so can they eat it?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I don't know if they would because it is dried. Dried greens don't seem to interest them very much.

I suggest giving them pieces of cabbage or lettuce, or even hanging up a whole head of cabbage on a string just above their heads in the coop or run. They'll jump at it to tear pieces off, and will keep themselves busy and entertained.

3. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    If you can get good quality leafy alfalfa hay I consider it one of the best supplements. They will eat everything but the big coarse stems.

4. alagary

alagary Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2008
    prattville al.
    Mine like to pick at the round bale I use for bedding but,I don't think they eat enough to get anything out of it . They do gobble down fresh grass clippings though.

5. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Mine do. Kinda. They eat the buds, and small bits and chaff from the hay. I have an alfalfa/grass mix and they eat the alfalfa buds, etc. It's lots of fun, they scratch around in it in the snow.

6. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Mine like to eat the seeds off the hay and straw.

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Mine eat everything but the stalks and lay nice dark eggs all winter. Hay we have is heavy on the alfalfa and clover.

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I use hay to put in the nesting boxes and part of the roost area. I've used alfalfa, grass and oat. My hens are always eating their beds! [​IMG]

9. andehens

andehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Scenic Sierra Nevadas
    Mine love a bucket of leafy alfafa and eat all of it, even the stems! I give them a bucket about every 7-10 days.

10. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    You can buy alfalfa cubes and soak them in warm water and feed the chickens...
    They are pure alfalfa that is chopped up into small pieces and the chickens will really go for them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by