Do chickens eat lacewings?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by equinehugger3, Jan 9, 2011.

1. equinehugger3

equinehugger3 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2010
    I'm doing this food chain thing, and I can't find the answer online. [​IMG] Do chickens eat lacewings? [​IMG] Yeah... Thanks!
    [​IMG] I'm so bad at finding answers online!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Mine sure do. I buy Green Lacewing larvae and put them on my grapevines to control mottled leafhoppers and if my chickens see an adult lacewing, they go for it.

3. swordgeek

swordgeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Westford, MA
    If it flies, and isn't bigger than they are, they'll eat it. [​IMG]

4. 1FastFlamingo

1FastFlamingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Brevard County, Florida
    Um, noobie moment lol... what are lacewings? I`ve never heard of them before...

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    I found one of those buggers in my kitchen a few weeks ago! I have no idea how it got there...but was a little freaked out when I saw a bright green bug near my plants! I currently have an Avacado Tree growing (12-18 inches tall right now), a container of Cat Grass (Wheat, Barley, Oats, other grasses...I bought it @ PetCo for the kitties at Christmas), Aloe Vera seeds just sprouting in a tererrium, and a Dinosaur plant limping along. The avacado has been there since June, so I'm pretty sure it didn't come from the soil there (potting soil leftover from my planter garden last summer). The cat grass may have come with the egg/larvae in it, but the expiration on the package is fairly soon...how long do they live anyway?

Glad to know it was a "helper" bug...but anything that has more than 4 legs or flies does not live long in my house! If the cats or dog doesn't get 'em, we squish them!

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Most chickens will eat anything that can't move faster then they do. All bugs are yum yum if they can catch them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by