Do chickens eat more when it's really HOT outside?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kgend912, Jul 22, 2011.

1. kgend912

kgend912 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    Plainfield
    For the past week or so, my girls have been going through more than twice as much food during the day. In the morning, I let them out to free range and the coop stays open, so I thought maybe they were sharing with another critter (chipmunk maybe?). I tested that out the other day by not letting them out and they still went through as much. I suppose something little could still be sneaking in...but I don't see any signs of that. We've had some extreme weather lately, so maybe that's it?

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    No, they should actually be eating less in the hot weather. They don't need the calories to maintain their body temperature and the digestion process creates some internal heat so they generally don't eat as much in hot weather.

3. kgend912

kgend912 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thanks for the reply...that is actually what I thought made the most sense. Hmm....gonna have to figure out if something is sneaking in. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be bothering them, but I'd prefer it not come at all.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It could be mice or songbirds

5. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Are they shoveling a lot of it out or knocking it out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by