1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chickens eat ticks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by thechickenfarmer, Apr 21, 2007.

1. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    I was just wondering cause we seem to have a lot this year. Normally they aren't that big of a problem but, I've had two one me this week and one on my son! We had both been in a field on our property which is were they seem to be. I don't want to get guinea hens and was wondering if I put a free range flock in the field would they keep the population of ticks down? [​IMG] Jen

2. Sunshine Hen

Sunshine Hen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I would assume that they will eat any bugs they find.

I sure hope they eat ticks. :mad: I HATE THEM!!

3. Jillylam

Jillylam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2007
    Kingwood, NJ
    Jen,
    I'm not sure if they eat ticks or not but I'm hoping they do. Just today I opened up a part of the fencing to let them roam from their normal yard into a bigger field where we always have ticks. Years back I would put down pesticide to keep the ticks, spiders etc under control - and it worked great, but I've stopped using any chemical pesticides (and herbicides) altogether for environment and health reasons. We're just a lot more diligent in checking over ourselves and the dogs. We did have one dog diagnosed with Lyme last year but it was caught and treated before she had any symptoms so we were lucky. Well, good luck with the tick situation and let me know if you do happen to see any of the chickens eating ticks.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I read some where that they do eat ticks.

5. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    get some guinea fowl they are good for tick control

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Chickens will eat ticks. They will not control them as well as guineas will. Just means you need more chickens to do the same job as a few guineas. [​IMG]

7. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Woohoo! [​IMG] I'm glad to hear that, at the very least, they will help! Still have a tiny bit of snow left to melt, and I've already picked one of those cretins off my daughter. YICK.

8. ChickieDee

ChickieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    North Central PA
    The other day my husband picked a big tick off our dog and held it in front of my Red. She gobbled it down. It was GROSSSSS!

9. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    i've ordered some Diatomaceous earth, food grade from this website www.dirtworks.net
    there are great posts here about it and it sounds wonderful so i'm gonna give it a go. you should read the posts. Diatomaceous earth--- Really that harmless?????
    all my animals will appreciate it.

10. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Thanks everybody. I guess getting more chickens certainly can't hurt right? [​IMG] I also heard that guinea fowl was the best at tick control but I've also heard they are really loud. Another thing I heard is that they don't get along with other birds. Anyone know how they would do if they free ranged in the same space as chickens? The field I want to use is only about an acre. Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by