1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chickens eat ticks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by patrickj, Feb 18, 2011.

1. patrickj

patrickj Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    ticks have been bad here the last few years in central Texas. I hear guinea's eat lots of ticks, but
    too noisy for my taste. Wondering if a few chicks for eggs will also eat ticks around the grounds?

2. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Muscovy Ducks are VERY known for their eating the bugs and ticks - my chickens do eat bugs - not sure on the ticks tho

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Yes they love ticks.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

yes, my old neighbors used to keep lots of free ranged chickens to keep the ticks off of their other animals (goats, horses, dogs, etc). It worked pretty well I'd say.

I used to get ticks every time I went to my inlaws place, but after moving a PEN of chickens out there I have hardly seen a tick since! Even though they are penned, they still have put a dent in the tick population.

5. fishman65

fishman65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    flat rock
    guineas are the worlds BEST tick eating machines, bar none!!!

6. Stormview

Stormview Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA
    Yeah I Think Chickens Would Eat Just About Any Thing That Moved!

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had a very bad tick problem before I got chickens, had to pick them off the dogs every single day, even had them crawling in the house up walls. Now, I havent seen a tick in 3 years.

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Chickens do eat them but if you can get use to the guineas, they are better bug eaters. They even keep all the snakes away. I had so many problems with copper heads before I had guineas but now I never see one in the yard or flower beds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by