1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chickens eat tile grout?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Momolina34, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Momolina34

Momolina34 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    hi all, we are thinking about putting some tile in the bottom of our coop so that it is easy to clean the gooies of of. i t just occurred to me that the little dickens might eat the grout. but will they? is this even a problem?

2. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    I wouldn't even grout it since it will be in the coop. I would lay them flush and glue them to the floor.

3. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    After the grout is dry? I cant imagine they can.

4. J at Yoti Farms

J at Yoti Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Wanamaker, IN
    I would not use tile for the coop floor

5. Concrete101

Concrete101 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2012
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    I used a rough tile on my coop floor. (Left over from the kitchen floor). I glued them to the plywood floor with construction adhesive and sealed between them with caulk (very tight seams). I use a good layer of wood chips on top. The chickens move the chips around and expose the tile in places but it not as slick as vinyl flooring.

No one has tried to eat any grout or tile. My floor slopes to a 6' double dutch door for easy cleaning. The tile should make it an easy sweep.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by