Do chickens ever get full?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MrRoy, Jan 25, 2010.

1. MrRoy

MrRoy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2010
    Hattiesburg, Mississippi
    Mine seem like they would eat until they pop. Especially treats like cracked corn, bread bits and rolled oats.

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question! Apparently not, based on mine - they will forage for an hour swallowing up everything that moves under their beady little eyes, then run like H E double toothpicks back to the pen if I hold up a cup of scratch. They eat and eat and eat!

3. Turkenlover

Turkenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Colorado
    I doubt it. I think it's in the same way that horses never "get full" either. [​IMG]

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

For about 8 seconds.

5. DAS

DAS Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    NW Wisconsin
    If your chickens are full for eight seconds you should call your vet. Immediately dispense some scratch and stand back and wait and see if the problem goes away!! My guys are never full. I think they would eat in their sleep if they could figure out how!!!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    No..i dont think they EVER get full... [​IMG]

7. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Mine seem to have an endless appetite for grains and other carbs, but I imagine they would eventually stop eating. I do notice that they can get "full" of greens after a while, and fruit, and they will quit eating them.

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Mine sure don't!! They get bored with the same old thing, but never full! Mine stop eating long enough to sleep or drink water...that's it. [​IMG]

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Well..i have had a stuffed chicken before.... So i guess they do get full sometimes.... [​IMG]

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Eventually but you should see how big a crop can actually get. I butchered some roos that had feasted on the neighbors bird seed before heading back toward the coop. The 2nd one I skinned had a crop hanging out the size of a baseball all packed with bird seed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by