Do chickens ever lay their eggs around 6:30 PM in winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lillypurrs23, Jan 23, 2011.

1. lillypurrs23

lillypurrs23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    My chicken had her first egg last night at about 6:30. PM. Is that normal? Especially when it's winter, because it's dark outside, but they were in the coop.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, it is normal. When they first begin, they can even drop them while on the roost at night, unknown to them, it seems. The pullet egg starts so small, they likely don't quite understand anything happened.

They get regular as they get a little older.

3. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Yeah, we found it under their roost, and it was small. Cute, though! [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, the first few eggs can surprise them. Once they get into a routine, they usually won't lay that late. If mine don't lay by 4:30 then they wait until the next day.

5. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Hmm. It seemed like she knew that she was going to have one. She was making a nest in the nesting box about an hour and a half before. She was laying in it for a while, but I guess she decided to leave it, and out came the egg. xD

6. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Normal.
    When mine start up in the spring I often find an egg or two under the roost.
    I mean, what's a hen to do? It's dark, you can't see, and the baby's coming! LOL!

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, my new layers will pace back and forth to the nest box, but I have still had eggs laid in the run, under the hanging feeder and in corners of the coop. It's like having a baby, you know it's coming but not sure exactly when.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  8. aduplantis

aduplantis Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    At least 1 of my hens has been laying later in the afternoon since it has gotten cooler here.

9. lillypurrs23

Sep 6, 2010
    Well, she would of been able to see because of our lamp in there. [​IMG]

10. Chick named Lola

Chick named Lola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Maryland
    Mine are laying until about 4:30 as well...new layers...It will be nice when they get more regular...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by