Do Chickens Fall in Love?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SunnyCalifornia, Sep 23, 2011.

1. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I know they are "just chickens", but I swear, my pullet has the BIGGEST crush on the rooster that I am babysitting. I may just have to make plans to keep him! She usually screams and runs, but with this guy, it was instantaneous.... cuddling, grooming, sticking close by....??? They do make a nice pair [​IMG]

I also have another rooster who only has eyes for one hen. He couldn't care less about all the other pullets. He won't even acknowledge the other chickens. But when he's with that special pullet, he's the happiest bird on earth. He only mates her, and he's gentle.

Weird. And then I have roosters that will mount anything in sight, no matter what it is, until its bald!!!!.....LOL!! [​IMG]

2. Nitrostreak

Nitrostreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Jackson County
    I had a pair of OEGB who were the most wonderful thing to watch.

Rusty followed Candy around like a love-struck puppy, and the few times Rusty dared to flirt with another hen, Candy chased him away with QUITE an irritated squawking! [​IMG]

I don't think they can have a concept of actual "love," but they CERTAINLY form some very strong bonds.

[​IMG]

R.I.P, but I like to think they're strutting around "chicken heaven" together. [​IMG]

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Birds are known to have the ability to form very strong bonds. Our African Grey, "Streak", has been deeply bonded with my partner for 10 years now. He tries to regurgitate and feed her. He postures for her. He makes little love sounds around her. He barely tolerates me and he hates our teenage daughter. If we go away for more than a couple days, he pouts for over a day before he will even talk to her again. He laughs when she laughs. He hollers when she hollers. They make me sick! But I love them both.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yeah, chickens are IN love with FOOD!

5. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    [​IMG] LOVE IT!!

6. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Quote:[​IMG][​IMG]

7. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Quote:yes, I can absolutely agree with that!! LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by