Do chickens feel sick when going through a molt?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5lovelyhens, Feb 17, 2016.

1. 5lovelyhens

5lovelyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    My Ameraucana stopped laying 2 weeks ago or so, and she would go in the nest box but wouldn't lay anything. She hasn't been back in the box in a while, and was acting fine (eating, drinking, normal poo) but today I noticed a bunch of feathers missing, and they continue falling out when I pet her. She was fine all day, but when I closed the coop, she was just laying on the ground, not dust bathing. I took her inside and she's eating blueberries. Do they feel sick in a molt or is something else wrong?

2. 5lovelyhens

Mar 29, 2015
    She's 1 1/2. I saw a bunch of her feathers on the coop floor, and thy continue to fall out

3. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    @casportpony

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She is right at the age to molt, and my hens tend to eat less, be a little aloof, and seem to not feel as good. You might want to boost her protein a little with game bird starter, egg, tuna, or others, and put some probiotics and vitamins in her water.

5. 5lovelyhens

Mar 29, 2015
    Okay thank you! And it won't hurt my other 3 right?
    (Sorry, I'm so new to Chickens )

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Not as long as you don't overdo it. Flock raiser feeds have 20% protein, and gamebird starter has 24%, so if you switch the flock raiser or give some gamebird starter as a treat, then you would stay in the safe range of 20%. Layer has 16%, so give a little extra protein. Be sure and keep crushed oyster shell available especially if using Flock Raiser.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by