1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chickens forget each other?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenlover432, Mar 12, 2014.

1. chickenlover432

chickenlover432 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2014
    Proud Aussie
    Hey again guys, one of my chickens(Agi) is looking pretty old and I'm guessing she's probably going to pass away soon. She has a best friend called Loupe and I was worried that after my Agi dies, Loupe might be lonely(I have three chickens, Agi,Loupe and the new girl Doris,) but the Doris and Loupe don't get on very well. So do chickens have good memories? Can they remember old chickens? If so, do they get upset when their friend dies?

Thanks again for your help

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read accounts that would seem to indicate they do miss one who was a particular companion, on some level. Although... this brings to mind for me the method of dealing with a "bully" by separating it out of sight for a week. When reintroduced, the flock apparently does not remember the "bully' as she seems to be treated like a stranger or newcomer.

Why don't you let us know how it goes with yours? Of course I hoope she still has plenty of good years left....

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Yes they do in fact know each other well and will miss them when they are gone. I have two Black Australorps that are attached to each other. Best of friends. One day years ago, I had to take one of them to the vet and was going to be there all day. The other bird watched me carry this bird down the path and out of side. The bird left back here paced all day. She called and called for her. She refused to eat or drink. Just screamed down the path, pacing along the fence. Finally late in the day, I was able to bring the other bird home from the vet. The bird pacing the fence line was so excited! She started dancing around and I could barely open the gate to get in! I put the bird down that I just brought back from the vet and the other bird was all over her! They were again reunited and the bird that was stressed out here all day, ran to the feeder for some food that she had starved herself from all day. Meanwhile, the bird that came home from the vet, headed right for the nest box to lay an egg she had obviously been clamping off all day. LOL The other bird stood at the bottom of the ramp and waited until she came out from the box.

But if you do have a lone bird, spend as much time with them as you can so they don't get too lonely and if you have to, find her a new friend.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry that is seems you will lose your girl Agi pretty soon. X3 chickens know and remember each other at least for a few days. Are you going to get another chicken after Agi passes?

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I believe that birds, just like mammals (people included), have special friends and they do miss those friends when they are gone. This is even more evident in birds that form pair bonds. Several years ago I was judging a field trial in RI. By the exit from the interstate a Canada goose had been hit and killed. For the 4 days that I took that exit the mate was there standing 'guard'.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think now and then some birds really form a close bond and are affected when one is separated due to death or rehoming. Generally the flock couldn't care less

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I guess I could see it happening, but I think it would be minor and she'd "get over it" quickly. People tend to humanize everything and we stress over silly things [​IMG]

8. chickenlover432

Feb 19, 2014
    Proud Aussie
    Ok thanks for that guys,
    coz I started of with Pepi ,Loupi and Agi. Pepi died a few months ago and after a bit of clucking, the others completely forgot her! so then we got 2 more, Ruby and Doris. Ruby, unfortunately, died a month after we got her from the RSPCA, and because of that, my mum's a bit doubtful of getting more in case they give a disease to the others, but I hope we can get more from the special chicken place where we got the first three. Flockwatcher, I will try that, it sounds like a great idea:) And because Doris is more of a loner chicken, she won't mind being away from Agi.

by the way, thought I might share a funny story with you guys, so when we got Doris, the day after I found her lying on the ground sideways, with her head in the grass, I honestly thought she was dead, so I went to go tell Mum and she came out and.......... Doris was preening with the other girls under a tree, she looked at me as if she was saying " welcome to sun bathing" LOL and I panicked that much!

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yes when they are dust or sun bathing, it can scare the heebie geebies out of you. [​IMG]

Good luck with all your babies and especially with Agi. [​IMG]

10. chickenlover432

Feb 19, 2014
    Proud Aussie
    Awww thanks well thankfully for me, we don't have many foxes down in Canberra, Australia. So that means that all our chickens have had peaceful deaths. I think they all lived good lives so they/I have nothing to regret:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by