Do chickens get attached to each other? What will happen if I have to split a pair up?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OCpeep, Mar 5, 2012.

1. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I have four chicks, 3 pullets and 1 possible cockrel (I've had them for almost 6 weeks, but they are older than that). Two of the pullets seem to hang out with each other while the other pullet and cockrel hang with each other. If/when I have to re-home the cockrel, will the pullet be upset? Should I try to add another pullet to the flock? If so, when would be a good time to introduce? Or should I start with a day-old chick and wait till it's old enough to be hanging with the older ones?

I'm waiting to re-home so that I can be positive on the sexing (either crows or lays an egg). I'm really attached to this one.

Thanks!

2. Hyline

Hyline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Western Australia
    I find that chickens develop very deep attachments to their family and friends of the flock, including their human flock [​IMG]

3. I was just getting ready to ask why you would have to rehome a cockerel and then I saw Orange County, CA. No need to answer that one now.

I think if you're going to separate them, you should do it sooner than later. What makes you think the one is a cockerel?

If you wait til they're older, it could be detrimental. I had this happen twice in one year... I sold one sibling only to have the other give up on life and die within a week or so!

You could always talk to your neighbors before the bird in question is old enough to crow. Find out if they would be bothered.

4. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    You don't know if a new one will form a bond with the odd girl out. But pairs are always better. If you can add 2 more I would do that. I have 33 4 week olds in the garage if that would help you. You could try a younger one and maybe she will mother it.

5. OCpeep

OCpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Orange County, CA

La Donna, we must be neighbors! I might have to take you up on your offer. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by