Do chickens get colds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BLaBauve, Aug 9, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have about 10 hens/pullets in a run outside. I've noticed a few of the pullets are sneezing a bit. I don't see any discharge and they are acting normal otherwise. I eat their eggs so I do not want to treat them with antibiotics. Any chance this will pass?

Thanks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, they do not get head colds like humans. Sneezing can be just environmental, especially with no other symptoms. Watch for other symptoms, though. It could be dusty feed, dusty litter, chemical smells like gasoline, etc.

Chickens contract diseases that often make them carriers of that disease. Antibiotics won't fix the carrier state and of course, antibiotics do not treat viruses. I would not give antibiotics except for injuries or reproductive infections. Best to separate any sick birds and let nature take its course or cull.

3. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for your help! I'm going to clean our their coop this week and see of that helps. I recently removed mulch from their run that was giving me breathing problems. I also have a few teenager chicks that were just integrated into the flock that are sneezing too - I wasn't sure if stress could cause it. I know stressed dogs can sneeze. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by