Do chickens get colds??

pepperlady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
I am fairly new to raising chickens and think that I might have one with a cold?? She's about 8-10 weeks old and is a RIR. She is a little smaller than all my other pullets, but healthy. I haven't seen any drainage but she seems to have a rattle when she breathes sometimes. I think that I have even heard her sneeze a time or two. We had a pretty wet week last week with cooler temps than normal, but mostly still hot like only Alabama can get. Oh! And my chickens free range during daylight hours if that matters.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions on what to watch out for? If it were my children, I would just keep an eye on them & see if their behavior worsened, so right now that is the approach that I am taking with my pullet. Should I try anything different?
idunno.gif

Yes, chickens can get sick. In my opinion, you should just separate her from the rest and give her medicated food. If she gets worse, ask someone more experienced than me
smile.png

Okay, so after reading a TON of threads on here with various birds I think that I am going to put some GSE in their water and possibly even go pick up a wormer at the feed store. My birds free range & I have never wormed them, so it couldn't hurt. Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom