Do chickens get "hormonal"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by new chick 203, Feb 9, 2011.

1. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    One of my girls started laying this week and she has been such a B#*ch! she is really tormenting everyone, chasing and pulling feathers. Another is going to start any time now and she's acting up too. Can a chalk this up to raging hormones? Will she mellow out again?[​IMG]

2. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    All 6 of our hens got very cranky during the week leading up to laying their first egg. Once they popped out that first one they calmed right down.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    They can be so hormonal, it's scary [​IMG] If you think your hen is bad, wait until you meet a broody hen [​IMG]

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] Mine too

5. new chick 203

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    It's just that Rosie was so mellow about the whole thing. Very meditative. Bobby is a spaz and so cranky. Still sweet to me, but the others better watch out.

6. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    It is funny, I have noticed how friendly they become after they have been laying a short while. Last spring's hatchlings were raised by mama hens so they weren't held by us when they were little. They ran whenever we got close. I thought they'd never warm up to us! But sure enough, they start laying and now they are almost as friendly as their "aunties."

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh YES!! My light sussex even turned on her non-laying "ex" best buddy the week she started laying...pulling feathers and just being nasty, as you described. They do calm down within a few weeks though [​IMG]

8. new chick 203

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    She's so small, a banty cochin, it's almost funny watching her march around bossing the big girls.

9. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    My barred rock was like that, and she has sweetened up some. She's the "boss" so she's never going to be as sweet as the others, but she is a pretty good top hen, so I won't complain. I remember from reading about chicken physiology the they definitely are hormonal, esp when they are broody. The broodiness is completely hormonal, and it is all started by a chemical cascade that starts the broody process. That's why it's so hard to break. It's a lot more than just a "behavior" it's a biological and physiological process.

10. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    And, I know I wasn't the most pleasant woman to be around the few weeks before I had MY first baby..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by