Do chickens get sinuses? Like we do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StormyMoon, Aug 25, 2010.

1. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I noticed tonight 2 of my birds making a funny sound, today mind you it is a lot cooler in texas this afternoon we got a cold front in and leaves are falling. 2 of my hens was making a noise tonight.( PEESH ) is what it sounded like I turn around they was shaking their heads after a funny sounding sneeze, no fluid no watery eyes just the funny sound. I didnt hear anything clicking when I held them up to my ear. I was wondering if CRD is same as sinuses or do birds get sinus issues like people do in the fall? I have them in a crate tonight away from the others just to be careful. Should I just wait and see how it goes? Can they develop allergies like we do?

Lol I just had a funny thought maybe they was cussing me out behind my back....

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010

2. tyty003

tyty003 Hatching

Jul 22, 2010
    My chick died of a sinus infection... but he didn't make any noise he just squeaked.

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Quote:I am sorry to hear that.

4. tryxichicks

tryxichicks In the Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    If they start making a gurgling noise, and shaking their heads over and over and seem very bothered it could be gape worms. But its VERY obvious there is something wrong if thats the case.
    BUT, on a lighter note, my hens sneeze every once in a while. Usually its because of dust or something tickling their nostrils. I wouldn't worry to much, maybe keep them separate for another day or so to make sure no more symptoms arise like runny nose or weeping gunky eyes. It's always better safe then sorry!
    ~Good luck!

5. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Songster

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    Chickens sneeze! It is such a cute sound, isn't it? Did you say "bless you"? [​IMG]

We have 50 chickens and especially when the weather is really changing, it's been reallly wet, or is really windy I'll here a sneeze from here or there. I was just out there today raking in the dirt and it's kind of windy. Poor baby. It really bugged one of my pullets!

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Sometimes they shake their heads to try and rid themselves of a mucus plug in their throat. That may also be why it is wheezing. You might google poultry respiratory symptoms and see if anything matches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by