do chickens get upset when you clean their coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kareninthesun, Jul 23, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    The collective chicken owners of me were not happy this early morning once they realized they were going to be free ranging for a while. Normally, if I have to herd them back in during the day for protection, its like trying to diaper twin one year old children at the same time...with one arm. But, having chosen to completely dump out all the hay, sanitize from top to bottom, (usually don't dump the hay, doing a modified layering instead of hay), they about had a stroke. Gripe...gripe...gripe; pause to play and hunt down bugs, gripe more...climb all over the planters...back to gripe...eat their snakes, drink water...gripe. All dried and sparkley clean, aired out, you think they'd still want in? Heck no. Herd and gripe...until they spot the food. Happiness again.

2. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    'eat their snacks, NOT snakes.'

3. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Mine are never in the coop unless to sleep, they free range in my yard all day and evening. They never mind there pen being cleaned, in fact could care less lol.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine gripe and complain too, but then they get on with life.

I have a bunch that are still molting... When I walked into the coop this morning it looked like a chicken bomb had gone off. [​IMG]

5. kareninthesun

Jul 1, 2011
    I can't do that yet. My dogs get along with them as long as I'm there, but want to wait until I'm very, very sure. And we have hawks, and a beautiful owl family close by. Not to mention awful nasty grey foxes that are awake during day and night. AND snakes, and the neighbor's cute tabby that isn''t sure what the chickens are aside from fun looking.

6. tiny529

tiny529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] I was wondering about that!

Mine aren't cooped yet but man do they spaz out when I clean out their brooder!

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Mine did when I cleaned their coop today. Maybe because I had the chicken eating rake and shovel monster with me! At least, that is what they think. And the wheelbarrow? Also chicken eating!

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    No, they are so use to me being in there that it's nothing new.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Mine stay out of the way and watch the action while I scrape with the shovel and sweep with a broom.

10. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Mine want to help or ride on my shoulder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by