1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do Chickens Get Worms??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tanekahachicken, Apr 16, 2008.

1. tanekahachicken

tanekahachicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Titirangi, Auckland, NZ
    I'm still new to this chicken thing but loving it so far. I have 5 girls and they are all mixed breeds. Today after they had been up on our back deck (I was hosing off the chicken poop) I noticed that there were a couple of poops that had tiny little white wriggly things in it. The little poops were fresh so I know no flies or anything had laid eggs on them. I'm sorry this is a gross post so please accept my apologies in advance. I just want to know what it is and what I can do to treat. Is there some sort of worming liquid I can put in their water or something?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Sounds like worms to me!

Do a search on worms in this forum. You will find many treatments as well as how to administer nd the amount of time neded to get the meds out of the system.

3. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, worming birds is a normal thing, and most people who have had chickens for a while worm as a preventative measure. You can find details on worming on my site HERE .

4. tanekahachicken

tanekahachicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2008
    Titirangi, Auckland, NZ
    Thanks for that. Your website is great! I'll go out today and get some ivomec for my chicks. Here in NZ we have a huge farming community (More cows than people here) so it's no problem to purchase.
    Cheers everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by