1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chickens give a sign if they're bothered by the poop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OVERxCAST, Aug 13, 2013.

1. OVERxCAST

OVERxCAST Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Vacaville
    title.

2. OVERxCAST

Jul 9, 2013
    Vacaville
    I meant, do chickens give a sign if they're bothered by the poop in the coop?

3. youngoilguy

youngoilguy New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Mine will kick the straw out of their nesting boxes to cover the poo on the floor.

4. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    Perhaps they are just playing with the straw. Mine does the same thing. And when I switched to pine shavings, they had it everywhere. The kicked out if the coop, it was flying everywhere in the wind. Anyway they don't seem a bit bothered by poop they walk right in it. I want clean feet, they don't care. I scoop there pen regularly so there's no build up.

5. OVERxCAST

Jul 9, 2013
    Vacaville
    but i heard somewhere that if theres too much poop gives a disease? or something..

6. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    That's true, you don't want chickens living in a filthy coop. The ammonia is bad for them, and diseases. You can look on BYC and read up on how chicken owners manage poop. You can learn about deep litter method, use of sand or pine shavings. Learn about additives like Sweet PDZ and Diatimaceous Earth. I use sand and these products to control bugs and odor. I scoop regularly like scooping a cat box. Things look and smell clean. But still, they poop inbetween and will step in it. Keep food and water dishes in such a way that they can't poop in them. They'll be fine. I'm a first time chicken owner and didn't know any of this. I learned it here on BYC. Just remember there's a lot of different ways of doing things. I got hung up on all the different info but the point is do what is good for your situation. Just don't let poop build up in their enviornment.

7. RandomDude42

RandomDude42 New Egg

Aug 13, 2013
    Speaking from personal experience, not very much. They have no problem stepping in it or where they do it, they're just like that. But they're smart enough not to stick their mouths in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by