do chickens grow spurs?????

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rolliepollie, Jun 16, 2007.

1. rolliepollie

rolliepollie New Egg

Jun 16, 2007
    West Palm Beach, FL
    I have two chickens that I rescued from my neighbors, about three years ago. Not sure what breed they are but they both
    have laid eggs. One of the chickens now has spurs, like a rooster would have. Is this normal? But we are not normal here......my other rescue chicken named Dog is raising her second set of ducks, that she sat on and hatched.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Kudos on the rescue! [​IMG]

Yes, hens can grow spurs, it's not common but it happens. I currently have a Rhode Island Red hen with a spur on one leg. I think it's kind of cute, but I am weird that way [​IMG].

I've heard stories of hens raising broods of ducklings, that's really cool that you have a hen that does that! It must be adorable, ducklings are so cute anyway. [​IMG]

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My Black White-faced Black Spanish hen has spurs that rival any rooster and I can now confirm it's a hen...she finally started laying eggs where I can find them!!!

4. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    We have a free range game hen with spurs.

I don't know if this is really true or not, but I heard that hens with spurs will hatch out more cockerels than pullets.

This particular hen hatched out 9 chicks. 7 of them survived. All cockerels!!!
    This was her first hatch, so I am going to be watching her when she hatches again to see if the next ones will also be all boys.

Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by