Do chickens hear tone of voice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moodusnewchick, May 20, 2008.

1. moodusnewchick

moodusnewchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    CT
    Ok, I know it sounds stupid...but when you're mad at your chickens, do they get it? Like dogs that put their ears down or cats that run away and pee on your comforter to get you back, do chickens get it? Unfortunately, my six week olds are still in the house b/c the coop is being made by an over worked, attention-detailed carpenter friend. They go out when I'm home, but that is not enough, I know. So, b/c they are too big (and unsanitary) to be in the house, they are annoying me. They are outgrowing every barrier I have set up. The first time they got out, I came home to chicken poop all over the downstairs, destroyed plant and knocked over knick-knack. I wasn't upset then, they took advantage of their opportunity, I get it. However, now I'm just annoyed b/c I can't contain them. So today when I came home to them perching on the top of the cage, clearly capable of hoping outside the new barrier, I yelled at them and shooed them down. Do you think they got the message or are they going to keep vexing me?

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

They're going to keep vexing you.

What do you have them in? Can't you put a cover on it?

3. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    I have to ask. How many chickens do you have free ranging your home? [​IMG]

Unless it is really a large number, why not try topping a bathtub, or use a Huge Dog wire crate. Or a huge appliance box and put a wite lid on it. Has to be a way. I cannot imagine you not being able to contain them.

Dilly

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Mine did the other day. The roo got on my last nerve and was kicked for attacking me so he hid behind the hens and tried to push them in where I was. I said, "Don't!" in a mad voice. And those hens planted their feet and pushed the roo back out of my way. They stayed a respectful distance until I was done and said, "Okay."

Maybe it was body language and not tone of voice? Either way, I communicated and they responded appropriately.

I'm gonna rehome my roo though!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by