Do chickens lay at night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vermontgal, Jan 5, 2009.

1. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

OK, I'll jump on the "stupid questions" bandwagon...
    Do chickens get down off the roost at night to lay, or do they "hold it" until morning?

2. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never heard of a hen laying at night; however, with chickens ya just never know! [​IMG]

Generally when chickens get up on the roost for the night, they're sleeping somewhat and stay there. Once mine are in the roost, even for just a few minutes, I can't even call them down with treats. Silly girls.

Roosters have been known to crow in the middle of the night, though. But I can't imagine a hen laying an egg. Perhaps at the crack of dawn. [​IMG]

Carla

3. stilwellchick

stilwellchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Stilwell, KS
    Mine have laid at night right on the roost too.

4. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Quote:Mine too - when they first started laying I found an egg or two right under the roosts when I let them out at daybreak. My soft shell layer especially - she laid her first 5 or 6 right from the roost. Now that they've been laying a while, I haven't found any more under the roosts in the AM.

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Some of mine have layed at night on the roost too. Few just lay at night, apparently they are a bit confused as to what time to lay their eggs.

6. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I can see that when a hen is new to egg laying, that it might be a case of when she gotta go, she gotta go. [​IMG]

Laying on the roost... don't the eggs crack when they drop? Maybe I should tighten up the space between my droppings board and the roost? It's just over a foot drop.

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, they can lay at night.

With egg production usually on a 25 hour cycle it will happen periodically as the cycle goes through it phases.

8. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Yes, occasionally. As Miss P says, they are on a 25 hour (or so) cycle but most birds will get accustomed to "holding it" until morning.

Otherwise, most of my birds' eggs here would be laid in the dark during the long winter nights.

Wayne

9. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I once found a mystery egg in the coop. I couldn't fiugre out how it got there. I finally realized that my BLS had sleep-laid from the roost.

she only did it once, and the others never have.

10. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    I'd say if they have light to see by, they might (if nature calls). When our girls go to bed, they seems to settle in and stay in one spot til morning...or so we think. We have found eggs in the nesting box right after sunrise though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by