Do chickens learn from their mistakes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Studio2770, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Our pullet, Amelia, got out of the yard yesterday. She's gotten out several times to find a place to lay an egg. We clipped her wing. She still got out, most likely using bushes to climb over. It seemed she was scared and learned her lesson. This time the neighbors dog got to her. She suffered some wounds and quite shocked but doing well. Will this experience teach her a lesson? I'm trying to think of a way to make the fence(6 ft tall) harder to get over.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    At least she is healing okay. She might learn her lesson, but it is hard to say. Maybe you could trim the bushes or angle the top section of the fence inward to make it harder to get out. Maybe to only guaranteed solution is covering the top of the run with some netting, but I suppose that is easier said than done.

3. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    The problem is that the fence is on the opposite side of the yard from the run. Trimming the bushes seems practical. There is a tree trunk that's part of the fence which I think she used to get on. Perhaps adding planks to the trunk will work. Quite a challenge. Hopefully she has realized anywhere beyond the fence is not nice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by