Do Chickens Like Baths?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zrossk, Dec 22, 2011.

1. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    I have heard some people say that chickens like to have warm baths. Is this true?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yes.

3. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Haha. My uncle gave my grandma's leghorn a warm bath. She was purring!

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    My one chicken who I have to bathe and then trim her bum feathers to keep poo from sticking to them (no worms, she just has issues) tolerates the bath. I do it in the kitchen sink, and she doesn't get entirely wet. Instead, I use the sprayer to spray and clean her booty, trim away soiled feathers, then towel dry her off. I can actually turn my back on her and she'll stay put in the sink with the warm water running over her toes. I wouldn't say she likes it though. She does fall asleep snuggled in a towel afterwards, though.

5. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    Quote:lol... chickens purr?

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Gave my BO a bath last night, was not sure if she was egg bound, felt her, but found nothing. She was very quiet & subdued and sat there in the tub, happy as you please. Then at 20 min, she perked up, looked around, then was ready to get out.

7. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Some LOVE it [​IMG] and some HATE it [​IMG]. All depends on your chicken.[​IMG]

8. THELMA

THELMA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2009
    Agree they either love it or hate it. I have one hen who loves it and then enjoys a dry with a hairdryer after she even goes to sleep

9. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    I had to bathe a 10 week old chick today (one of the big chickens decided to roost on top of the chick house and the chick was standing under her at the wrong time [​IMG]) and she just went completely limp. I was afraid that if I wasn't holding her up she'd drown! My two bantam Cochin hens are like that, too. I think it's something about the warm water... but I had to bathe my frizzle once and she flapped the whole time. But most of the chickens I've bathed have liked it.9

10. Frostee

Frostee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    Australia
    Oh, really? I read in a book somewhere that chickens shouldn't have baths. Gives them some sort of parasite of something. I dunno.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by